[erlang-questions] Shutting down part of a supervision tree

Geoffrey Biggs geoffrey.biggs@REDACTED
Tue Sep 14 01:16:27 CEST 2010

On 13/09/10 23:10, Niclas Eklund wrote:
> The Erlang CORBA objects are roughly gen_server-wrappers (using the
> create option {pseudo, true} is the exception since these objects are
> not processes). Hence, you should have a look at the behavior of
> gen_server
> (http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/gen_server.html#Module:terminate-2)
> regarding the terminate function. E.g if the process trap exit signals,
> the IDL file(s) has been compiled using the IC option handle_info or not
> etc.
>
> These links will probably be usefull to read as well:
>
>  * http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/Module_Interface.html
>  * http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/orber/ch_stubs.html

Thanks for the advice. I managed to track done one issue to a subtle
typo in my terminate spec (which is somewhat embarassing), and now I
have a better idea of how to manage CORBA processes.

However, I'm still not sure what the accepted method of telling a
supervisor to stop cleanly is, including cleaning up all its children
neatly. Is "exit(S, normal)" usually used?

Geoff