[erlang-questions] Re-entrant CORBA services

Niclas Eklund nick@REDACTED
Mon Sep 13 16:46:12 CEST 2010

Hello!

The drawback with oneway CORBA operations (i.e. asynchronous
calls/gen_server:cast) is that the exact behavior isn't specified by the
OMG specifications, which might give different results dependening on
which ORBs you're using.
Besides using a oneway operation, perhaps you can use corba:reply/2 (see
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/corba.html#reply-2), which is the same thing
as gen_server:reply/2. If it's posssible for you to use Orber pseudo
objects, you'll be able to avoid deadlock (see for example
the CosNaming_NamingContextExt_impl.erl module how these can be
implemented). The exact answer depends on if A and B resides on the same
ORB (Orber I assume in this case) or inter-ORB communication, with an
ORB from another vendor, takes place.

Best regards,

Niclas @ Erlang/OTP