[erlang-questions] 14A wants 'fop', what/where?

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Mon Sep 13 09:43:35 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Michael Turner
<michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Michael Turner
>> <michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED> wrote:
>> > this theory that PHP won out over a huge field of server-side scripting
>> > languages in the late 90s (some of them probably better) because it was
>> the
>> > easiest to install.
>> >

>> Erlang in installable almost anywhere without any fop. It is optional
>> dependency
>>

> Yes, but ISTR when I last did an Erlang build for a machine with no
> pre-built executable anywhere, I found that it's an enabled option.  I had
> to look pretty hard, then finally ask around, to figure out to disable it.
>  Finally, I gave up on that, and figured out where to get FOP and build it.
>  And I didn't even want the PDFs, I was just trying to get through the
> build.

When  we introduced the new way to build documentation (with
dependencies to xsltproc and Apache FOP)
in R13B03 the building of the PDFs was mandatory and thus the
dependency to Apache FOP.
This was unintentional and in R14A this was solved (thanks to Tuncer
Ayaz) with a FOP replacement which
generates dummy pdf files if Apache FOP cannot be found by configure.

And also note that, there is absolutely no need to build the
documentation from source at all if you are not developing new
documentation or want to contribute and improve the documentation.
You can read the documentation on-line on http://erlang.org or if you
want the documentation locally you
can download the documentation from http://erlang.org/download.

The build of the Erlang/OTP SW is not dependent on the build of the
documentation.
The documentation package is totally platform independent.

/Regards Kenneth, Erlang/OTP Ericsson