[erlang-questions] System limit bringing down rex and the VM

Musumeci, Antonio S <>
Thu Sep 9 15:10:17 CEST 2010


I did read it... It's just not relevant. It doesn't matter if it's my application or not. I have no control over the core system. It's not possible to do anything but mitigate the problem by trying not to spawn processes above some totally arbitrary value. If I only had used 80% of the limit rex could suddenly get tons of incoming calls and spawn the other 20% till it crashed.

It's a design flaw to crash a system due to a recoverable error. Rex doesn't crash when a remote node is down so why should it do so when it can't fulfill the rpc request because of other issues?

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Fisher [mailto:] 
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 8:58 AM
To: <>
Cc: Chandru; Musumeci, Antonio S (Enterprise Infrastructure); 
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] System limit bringing down rex and the VM

And you apparently failed to read any of the rest of what I wrote.  The root cause of the problem is that your application is using > 99% of the available processes without any consideration for limit.  This is a design flaw in your application.

On Sep 9, 2010, at 5:13 AM, <> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 22:42:36 -0500
> Paul Fisher <> wrote:
>> 
>> There is no sane thing that the vm could do in the face of such 
>> process usage.  Erlang crashes so that you can figure out how to 
>> correct the design flaw, by looking at the dump.
>> 
> 
> That's simply false. The sane thing to do is to return an error so the 
> developer may attempt to handle the situation. There is no flaw.
> Hitting the max process limit is not a guaranteed fatal situation and 
> I should not be kept from attempting to respond it it.
> 
> The fact that this happens by chance due to rex and the supervisor's 
> setup rather than built into the VM totally blows your argument out of 
> the water. Erlang doesn't crash in the normal sense.
> It's not a true fatal error. It could be triggered by calling 
> rpc:stop(). If it were an actual design decision it should be clearly 
> documented and part of the base VM behavior... not a side effect of 
> rex's design.

--
paul


--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTICE: If you have received this communication in error, please destroy all electronic and paper copies and notify the sender immediately. Mistransmission is not intended to waive confidentiality or privilege. Morgan Stanley reserves the right, to the extent permitted under applicable law, to monitor electronic communications. This message is subject to terms available at the following link: http://www.morganstanley.com/disclaimers. If you cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send the contents to you. By messaging with Morgan Stanley you consent to the foregoing.


More information about the erlang-questions mailing list