[erlang-questions] Dynamically add node to Distributed Application

Anthony Molinaro <>
Fri Sep 3 18:54:14 CEST 2010

Perhaps this will work for you

it has an ec2nodefinder package which will use ec2-describe-instances,
we used this in conjunction with

at my previous company to dynamically add ec2 instances and have them
join our cluster.

We also used

to allow distributed mnesia instances to shuttle around data to newly
created nodes.

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 11:09:29PM +0200, Steve Strong wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on the design of an Erlang based system which will be hosted on
> EC2.  Right now, a distributed application with a set of nodes looks like
> the right way forward, but one of my requirements is to be able to
> dynamically spin up new amazon instances and add them to the nodes within
> the distributed app.
> However, I can't see a way of adding nodes to a running distributed app - I
> am, however, a self-confessed Erlang noob, so any pointers would be much
> appreciated!
> Cheers,
> Steve

Anthony Molinaro                           <>