[erlang-questions] Why Distributed Is So Hard

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Sep 1 10:16:00 CEST 2010

On 30/08/2010 12:01, Jayson Vantuyl wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> While it's not Erlang-specific, I know a lot of people here care a
> lot  about distributed programming. I had a really good question
 > from someone the other day and it spawned a blog post [...]
>
> http://is.gd/eLhKF

Nice blog post.

For the record, I ran Erlang on MS-DOS back in 1992-93. I believe
it was the first (sorta) working Erlang environment I had access
to - that, and a partly-broken port to MacOS 6. I later shelled out
$1000 and got a HP-UX version on a QIC tape in 1993. I'll admit that
it was a huge improvement... I could now run Distributed Erlang,
and enthusiastically demoed a distributed ping-pong program to some
of my colleagues, who looked like they wondered what I had been
smoking.

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1992-09-08/

So MS-DOS was actually capable of some advanced concurrency even
without diving into TSR magic or utilizing 80x86 virtualization
techniques. :)

Why it didn't catch on like wildfire already then is a mystery
I have yet to unravel...

BR,
Ulf W
--
Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Solutions Ltd, formerly Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd