[erlang-questions] Erlang arithmetics

Morten Krogh mk@REDACTED
Sat Oct 30 10:52:10 CEST 2010

Hi Dimitry

You need to answer a lot of questions before you can even start the
comparison.

1. Should the implementations keep a list of all points, or can they
just calculate a running sum and discard the points immediately.
Right now, your erlang solution keeps two lists, and your js program
keep one object (hash table).

2. Is parallelizing the computation allowed?. If so, this would give
erlang an edge since you can parallelize this problem by simple message
passing.
That would require more work in js.

3. What types do you want for the points. In erlang you use
random:uniform(1000) which returns integers, in js Math.random() which
returns floats.
     The type issue also includes the question of checking for overflow,
as you mention.

4. Should the program be short and simple?  In the extreme case, the
erlang program could use nifs.

5. How should they calculate random numbers? There could be a huge
difference in speed based on the algorithm of course.
     Actually, I think a speed test between languages should not involve
random numbers, unless you make sure they use the same random number
generating algorithm.

Cheers,

Morten.