[erlang-questions] couchdb performace 10x: using NIF for file io

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Thu Oct 28 10:06:25 CEST 2010

As a devout Couch user, what I'd like to see is a pragmatic approach as
the couch team investigates this -- possibly targeting an optional
configuration with a clear description of the trade-offs to Couch users.
For example, the Couch team could advise using this new feature strictly
in a private emulator devoted to couch since the benchmarks show that NIF
io doesn't seem to have a detrimental effect on the rest of couch.

Personally, for my current uses, Couch's existing io performance is
sufficient. The use of hovercraft, the Erlang view server and some
workarounds to avoid mochiweb have been effective in giving me performance
boosts where I need them.

That said, it cannot be denied that for a database server, a 2-10 fold
increment in io performance is a good enough reason to do things that you
should not really be doing or that are potentially disruptive. For some
couch users, the pros might outweigh the cons. What I'd like to see is a
clear description of what those cons are so I can decide for myself.

- Edmond -