[erlang-questions] non-trivial supervisor idioms? -- An open-source plea!

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Thu Oct 28 09:23:49 CEST 2010

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 03:58:46 +1100, Thomas Lindgren
<thomasl_erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> [...]

This is true, I have been doing this. For instance the hex-encoding I use
now is a modification of the base64 encoder in stdlib.

> (Or read and learn from the plentiful open source out there, rabbitmq,
> riak,
> ejabberd, yaws, mochiweb, etc etc.)

I have found yaws particularly useful, in both design and quality of code.
I wonder whether this is by accident! The primary yaws developer is a very
experienced Erlanger who has roots in the OTP team.

> Regarding code quality, I'd say after having seen a large fraction of
> the "old
> school" industrial-size erlang products that there's plenty of blindness
> in
> there too. Most of those programmers were just regular guys.

This is an interesting revelation.

> Interrogating Ulf
> Wiger is probably your best bet in this area.

Something else that needs to be mentioned more is the older Erlang book
 from 96 "Concurrent programming in Erlang". The first few chapters offer
very good guides on what to do and what not to do. I discovered that part
i pdf on erlang.org very late long after I had picked up some very bad
habits from the Internet.

- Edmond -