[erlang-questions] How does gproc register global names?

Pablo Platt pablo.platt@REDACTED
Wed Oct 27 00:54:58 CEST 2010

Thank you for the answer.

________________________________
From: Ulf Wiger <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
To: Pablo Platt <pablo.platt@REDACTED>
Cc: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Sent: Tue, October 26, 2010 7:27:45 PM
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] How does gproc register global names?

On 26 Oct 2010, at 18:49, Pablo Platt wrote:

> Why doesn't mnesia have a 'light weight' transaction that works like gproc?

Mnesia has a slightly different charter, ensuring consistent persistency.

> When a new leader is elected, how does other nodes knows which names it doesn't
>know about?

In the Mod:elected() callback, the newly elected leader can
pass data to the others, which they receive in Mod:surrender().

> I'm using gproc to register gen_server processes.
> It might be useful to have gproc:cast and gproc:call that use gen_server:cast
>and gen_server:call in addition to gproc:send.

True, but my idea was that OTP integrate gproc and make gen.erl
aware of gproc-registered names. :)

> Is it possible to count all registered processes without using a counter?

It would be possible if the function gproc:pattern/2 were exported, or
a function gproc:select_count/2 were added, similar to select/2 et all,
which are already there.

> Is it possible to page thorough all registered processes?

Yes, with either QLC (using gproc:table/1) or using gproc:select/3 (using
the Limit argument to fetch a give number of objects at a time.

BR,
Ulf W