github-flavored edoc

Ulf Wiger <>
Sun Oct 24 15:20:03 CEST 2010

I pushed a small extension to edoc - called edown - to github:

The idea is to make the generated edoc directly readable on github,
see e.g.

(which BTW reveals some rendering glitches that someone <hint/>
should take a look at).

The extension hooks in at the EDoc doclet level and below, even
though it violates the framework in some respects. Rather than
generating HTML framesets, it produces a that github
will display directly, and which combines overview, module index, etc.

The way to use it is to call

edoc:application(App, [{doclet, edown_doclet}]).

Or, if you're using rebar, add the following in your rebar.config:

{deps, [{edown, ".*", {git, "git://", "HEAD"}}]}.
{edoc_opts, [{doclet, edown_doclet}]}.

./rebar get-deps
./rebar compile
./rebar doc

I'm sure edown can be improved in many ways, and I welcome ideas
and contributions. My first priority was to get something that at least
does the job of making edoc more accessible in github projects.

Also, I haven't tested that every project using edoc will render well
in this manner. If you try it, and find problems, please let me know.

Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, CTO, Erlang Solutions, Ltd.