Shared/Hybrid Heap

Steve Davis <>
Sun Oct 17 17:52:57 CEST 2010

On Oct 17, 6:30 am, Morten Krogh <> wrote:
> Actually shared memory is a bad wording. It should be called "C like
> pointer access to the data".

That sounds even worse! Have we learned nothing from all that history
of thread-aches in mainstream computing?

> The only real question is whether erlang should have a way for
> one process to read state of another...

I'm not sure you have fully thought through the implications of that
suggestion! ;) More concretely, consider the meaning of the java
keyword "volatile", what issue it points us to, and how that issue has
deep implications for the entire Java platform.

Best regs,