[erlang-questions] Staring more than one instance of a gen_server

Ahmed Omar spawn.think@REDACTED
Thu Oct 14 22:31:38 CEST 2010

Hi Ken,
It all depends on your purposes. If you want to start these processes as a
part of a supervision tree, so you would probably like to use
simple-one-for-one strategy and children dynamically
supervisor:start_child(Sup, List)
http://www.erlang.org/doc/design_principles/sup_princ.html#id67619

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Ken Robinson <kenrobinsonster@REDACTED>wrote:

> Hi All,
> If I wanted to start more than one instance of a gen_server what is
> the best practice? The gen_servers would be exactly the same except
> for the seeding parameters. From what I've found I could use the child
> spec and seed with specific names through the arguments like so:
> start_link(PortNumber, MySpecialName) -> gen_server:start_link({local,
> MySpecialName, ?MODULE, PortNumber, []).
> Would that work?
> --
> regards,
> Ken Robinson