[erlang-questions] Re: Shared/Hybrid Heap

Morten Krogh mk@REDACTED
Wed Oct 13 12:24:31 CEST 2010

  Clearly, there is a case for both shared and copied data structures.
It depends on the access patterns.
If each process needs to access the data structure a lot, it is faster
with copies, and vice versa.
This could be true for read operations as well. It is not true, that an
immutable, read only, data structure should always be shared. The reason
is locality (cache misses, time of far away memory access etc.).

I don't think it is possible to have the virtual machine solve this
correctly in all cases. Only the programmer knows the future use of the
data, except for very small programs, maybe.

So this leads to the following proposal.

Erlang processes should have internal threads.

The programmer decides between spawning a process or a thread. Processes
share almost nothing, threads almost everything.

I am not saying Erlang should go that way, but it seems to be the
solution to this issue.

cheers,

Morten Krogh.