[erlang-questions] Question about slave:start()

Mihai Balea mihai@REDACTED
Mon Mar 29 15:08:51 CEST 2010

On Mar 29, 2010, at 6:59 AM, Ben Lackey wrote:

> Hi Mihai,
>
> >From your example, it looks like the start_link function starts a link to an already running node.  I was really hoping to start an entirely new node programatically.  It looks like that is what the slave:start() function is supposed to do, but I can't call it successfully.  Any idea what I have to do to call slave:start()?

No, the difference between start and start_link is that with start_link, if the process (on the master node) that starts the slave node dies, the slave node is terminated as well. With start, the slave node will get to hang around after the starting process dies.

Otherwise they're pretty much identical, and they will both start a new node.

Mihai