[erlang-questions] Sets, ordsets, gb_sets, sofs. What is going on?

Ulf Wiger <>
Sun Mar 28 17:25:14 CEST 2010

Robert Virding wrote:
> While ordsets is usually slower it does have one benefit in that it is
> easy to read when printed which is definitely not the case for any
> others. I often find that unless the set is big and the set operations
> critical then the difference in speed is less noticeable than you
> would expect.

I once wrote a prototype extension of the pretty-printing in the
shell, that allowed for custom formatting of 'ugly' data structures.

With lots of flattery and bribes, I could perhaps become motivated to
port it to the latest OTP*, or someone else could take it on; the code
is available.

Ulf W

* The issue is mainly time. This is on my list of things that would be
fun to do someday, but that list is pretty long...

Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Solutions Ltd, formerly Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd