why is 'registered' a mandatory .app file attribute?

Ulf Wiger <>
Tue Mar 2 18:17:45 CET 2010

Am I the only one who is annoyed* by the fact that systools
requires the 'registered' attribute to be present in the .app
files in order to build a boot script?

While the attribute may have some value for documentation
(if properly maintained), it isn't, and never has been, enforced
in any way.

Why, then, does it need to be mandatory?

Ulf W

* Since this has been the case ever since the first release of
OTP, imagine my accumulated annoyance by now.

Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Solutions Ltd, formerly Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd