Accounting Engine in Erlang

amiruddin nagri amir.nagri@REDACTED
Mon Jun 14 17:08:06 CEST 2010

We have a requirement of making an accounting engine that handles all
the journal entries, transactions, portfolios etc. The communication
with the engine is based on simple protocol, the things to be taken
care of in the order are consistency and performance.

I have looked around some of the products based on erlang,
specifically couch db, couch db promises eventual consistency and
horizontal scaling.

Is the issue of consistency not solvable using erlang, or if we
implement consistency using erlang we won't be able use the
performance and scaling feature of erlang to maximum.

Also, if you have any suggestions of the choice of programming
language, we have been looking into other functional languages like
Haskell and Clojure. But we have not dig deep on the performance
aspects of these languages, if someone can shed a light on the pros-
cons of these languages, it will help us very much to come to a
decision.

-Regards,
Amir