[erlang-questions] Re: How to make the Erlang VM predictible when spawning processes?

Nicholas Frechette zeno490@REDACTED
Fri Jun 4 17:21:52 CEST 2010

Having pre-spawned processes doesn't mean you have to reuse them.
You could just spawn them ahead of time, say 1000 of them, let them
terminate as normal. Once you request a process to give it a task and you
notice that you've passed a threshold, say, < 500 free processes left, you
can spawn a process that forks 1000 more and adds them to the pool of
waiting ones. Example numbers of course but with a setup like this, it might
work good enough.

Or, alternatively, once a process has done it's job, instead of simply
terminating, spawn a new one and add it to the free pool. That way the
number of pre-spawned processes should be more constant and the performance
hit of spawning shouldn't matter that much as you are done with your (main)
work.

Nicholas