[erlang-questions] Lack of warning for overlapping clauses with

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Tue Jul 20 13:37:45 CEST 2010

I also think that case analysis could be improved, but I guess you are aware of that
the general problem is a hard nut. Just look at this very academic example ;-)

f(1,1), f(1,2), f(1,3) are actually overlaps, can you see why? ;-)
If there was a theorem prover built in to the compiler it may prove that, and warn about the overlap.
But how long time do you want for the compiler to complete?

----------
-define(p(Pi,Hj), ((P =:= (Pi)) and (H =:= (Hj)))).
-define(pi(Pi), (?p(Pi,0) or ?p(Pi,1) or ?p(Pi,2))).
-define(hi(Hi),
	(not (?p(0,Hi) and ?p(1,Hi)) and
	 not (?p(0,Hi) and ?p(2,Hi)) and
	 not (?p(0,Hi) and ?p(3,Hi)) and
	 not (?p(1,Hi) and ?p(2,Hi)) and
	 not (?p(1,Hi) and ?p(3,Hi)) and
	 not (?p(2,Hi) and ?p(3,Hi)))).

f(P,H)
  when P>=0, P =< 3, H >=0, H =< 2,
       not (?pi(0) and ?pi(1) and ?pi(2) and ?pi(3) and
	    ?hi(0) and ?hi(1) and ?hi(2)) ->
    1;
f(1,1) -> 2;
f(1,2) -> 3;