[erlang-questions] linked in driver port performance

Sverker Eriksson sverker@REDACTED
Wed Jul 14 12:15:11 CEST 2010

Actually, NIFs don't use ports so there is no locking at all needed to
call a NIF, except
the locks already held on the running process. If you introduce data
that could be shared
between concurrent NIF calls, then you have to serialize that access
with your own
locking. Using enif_mutex_* for example.

You can't use async-threads from a NIF, but you can create custom
threads with
enif_thread_create and send messages from that thread with enif_send.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP