Something like csh "source" command in Erlang shell?

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Thu Jul 8 12:47:05 CEST 2010

Is there some way to read in a bunch of Erlang shell commands as if they'd
been typed in?  I'm thinking of something like the "source" command in csh.

OK: why?  That's a reasonable question.

The reason I want this: I started into a tutorial for wx that was very
command-line intensive, showing how you call wx to put up a window, put a
menu in that window, put an item in that menu, etc., just by issuing
commands in the shell.  I was quite delighted to see that Erlang is almost
like Tcl/Tk's tclsh in this respect.  Perhaps it's an under-appreciated
feature of graphics programming for Erlang.

If you don't mind stuffing a lot of callbacks into fun-valued variables, you
can actually bring up a whole little GUI through which you can actually do
stuff, just by typing commands into the Erlang shell.

But then if you q() out, it all goes away.

What I'd like to do here is to tell the tutorial reader to copy-paste the
commands of interest to a file, one that can be read back in as a series of
commands, not only to rebuild the GUI being assembled interactively, but
also to reestablish  --*in the Erlang shell session* -- the variable
bindings made by the commands.  Eventually, of course, you want the reader
of the tutorial to either throw all that out or package it more cleanly in a
module, before continuing.  In the meantime, though, it would give them a
way to "pick up where they left off" in an ongoing command line dialogue, by
reading in all the commands they wanted to keep, in the order they issued
them.  Not to mention that having all the commands of interest, in order,
batched in a text file, makes for easier review.  I think for learning even
the rudiments of something as sprawling as wx, this approach, "today's
commands after re-reading, then re-using, yesterday's", would be helpful.

Is there something like this in the Erlang shell, either undocumented or so
under-documented that I keep missing it?

-michael turner