[erlang-questions] RE: TCP performance

Per Melin per.melin@REDACTED
Thu Jul 1 00:23:33 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Chris Hicks
<silent_vendetta@REDACTED> wrote:

> Of course maybe my test case is too naive? I'm basically just
> bombarding the tcp connection from a single process as I figured
> it would give me a clear enough indication of how long it would
> take to handle the connections.

>From my experience I'd say that you should be able to do at least a
couple of thousand connects per second.

My first suggestion would be to increase the backlog option of
gen_tcp:listen/2 to 1000.

Your code looks like it will fire off connects faster than they can be
accepted, and once that queue grows past the max backlog the requests
will be dropped and retried, which kills your performance.