[erlang-questions] Erlang/OTP R13B04 has been released

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Wed Feb 24 15:02:43 CET 2010

Hi,

Long time ago we did update the path in the Windows Installer but we
removed it later
for several reasons:

1. We don't think it is common practice in Windows installers to update the path
2. A number of problems can arise if the installer updates the path
automatically,
- where in the path should we put our entry?
- what to do if there are several versions of Erlang installed
- remove path during uninstall?
3. You may need to restart Windows in order to use the updated path

So please don't provide a patch since I don't think we will accept it.
By the way we don't update the path on Linux, Solaris etc either.

We think it is better to let the user handle the path by himself.

In your particular case where you have an application written in
Erlang I think you
should make an installer for your App and there you can update the
path if you want
and possibly invoke the Erlang/OTP installer from your installer.

We deliver a development system that you install on your system.
With this system you develop your application.
In order to distribute your application you package it together with a
subset of the components in Erlang/OTP (i.e only the components you
need) and make your own installer. NSIS is a free Installer maker for
Windows that we use.

Reltool is a tool that you can use for making your own package. It
helps you to create a file tree
with the necessary files but it does not help you doing the installer.
What might be helpful would be to provide a skeleton for an installer
, we have considered that but
i can't promise when it will happen.

/Kenneth, Erlang/OTP Ericsson