[erlang-questions] Information Theory encoding algorithms library in erlang

Kay Kay kaykay.unique@REDACTED
Tue Feb 23 02:22:05 CET 2010

On 2/21/10 7:21 AM, Joe Armstrong wrote:
> I'm not aware of a single collection of several such algorithms though
> I have seen
> huffman etc in Erlang.
>
> Huffman was used in some paper to illustrate use of Erlang bit fields.
>
> I implemented gamma encoding at:
>
> http://github.com/joearms/elib1/blob/master/lib/src/elib1_gamma.erl
>
> This was taken straight out of Witten, Moffat and Bells's book
> "Managing Gigabytes"
> - this book is BTW - an excellent source for compression algorithms.

Thanks for the github link and the reference. Call it coincidence or not
- this is one of the reference books that I am looking at implementing
libraries and started the thread in the first place.

> It would be nice
> to implement all the compression algorithms in MG and put them into a
> single library.

Will do , once I get a working version.  May be - I will put one up in
github for peer review, once completed.