[erlang-questions] Re: Will parameterized modules become an official part of Erlang?

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Sat Feb 20 14:56:55 CET 2010

Hi David,

Most of the parameterized modules I have written have evolved in my code
to become un-parameterized modules; either by evolving into standard
functional modules where the additional arguments are passed in, or
gen_servers where the state is maintained in the process. In these
cases, my experience of having parameterized modules in my code has
convinced me to remove them as the application codebase matured.

The few remaining parameterized modules that I use also use the process
dictionary in addition and so are side-effect monsters waiting to
happen. I currently expect that these remaining parameterized modules
will also disappear in due course into gen_server processes.

As a result of this experience, my opinion on parameterized modules is
that currently that I really shouldn't use them and that, in the end, my
code is probably better off without them.

Regards,
Steve