[erlang-questions] Keyword documentation

tsuraan tsuraan@REDACTED
Fri Feb 19 17:46:21 CET 2010

> The following are reserved words in Erlang:

Ok, so assuming no definitive list of what they do exists, I guess
I'll start one :)  These are either from the top of my head, or
http://erlang.org/doc/reference_manual/expressions.html .  Any
corrections, completions, clarifications are welcome.

> after
Sets the timeout in a receive block

> and
boolean logic "and"

> andalso
short-circuiting "and"

> band
bitwise "and"

> begin
Start a block, used for grouping expresssions (no idea what use it is)

> bnot
> bor
bitwise "not" and "or"

> bsl
> bsr
Shift bits left and right

> bxor
bitwise "xor"

> case
Beginning of a case statement, sort of like C's switch statement

> catch
Trap an error, converting it into the tuple {'EXIT', ...}.  If no
error occurs, the result of the wrapped function is returned.  Also
used in the try statement.

?

> div
integer division

> end
Complete a statement (fun, case, try, etc).

> fun
Begin an anonymous function

> if
Erlang's crazy if statement.

?

> not
Logical "not"

> of
Goes between value of case statement and guard clauses

> or
Logical "or"

> orelse
Short-circuiting "or"

> query
Obsolete, something about mneosyne?

> receive
used to get the next message from the process mailbox

> rem
Remainder from integer division (modulus)

> try
New way to trap errors, used with catch and ends with end

> when
Start a guard sequence for receive, function declaration, others?

> xor
Logical xor