[erlang-questions] rpc:call/4

Björn Gustavsson bgustavsson@REDACTED
Fri Feb 19 13:10:08 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Jayson Vantuyl <kagato@REDACTED> wrote:

> Is it worth my time to submit a patch?

I would say yes, and good time would be now so that it has a chance
to be included in R14.

But we can't guarantee that we will include any patch until we have seen
it. We will need to evaluate whether there are backward compatibility issues
or other problems.

>For that matter, I'd be interested in just eliminating this idiom from the whole of OTP.
> I don't think it's ever justified anymore.  Of course, a crude check shows 2082 occurrences.  That would be a pretty big patch.  Then again, 370 of them are in tests, so that might be a good place to start...

For that kind of clean-up, I suggest that you have at least one commit
per application,
and probably also separate commits for test cases and changes in applications.
For applications, it could further help to separate internal uses of
of old-style "catch"
inside modules and other uses that may be noticeable by outside callers.

The purpose of all this is to help us (and everyone else who is interested) to
review the changes, and to allow us include the safe changes first before all
other changes have been cleared.

And good commit messages, that explain why the change should be included
always helps.