One more question?

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Sat Feb 13 11:04:30 CET 2010

"Awesome" is indeed how I would describe binary matching in Erlang.

I first discovered the full beauty of it when I was faced with
decoding UDP packets from a rather idiosynchratic protocol. Breaking
out the bitflags and integer values of the header of these packets
turned out to be as simple as:

decode(<<Zerocoded:1, Reliable:1, Resent:1, Ack:1, _Unused:4, Sequence:
32, Extra, Content/binary>>) ->

As well as being highly efficient, the Erlang code adds semantic value
by allowing you to directly name things for what they are without a
bunch of preamble/enforced declarations.

/s