RPC and spawn

Musumeci, Antonio S Antonio.Musumeci@REDACTED
Thu Feb 4 22:02:55 CET 2010

Does anyone know a reason why net_kernel:spawn and rpc aren't based on one another? I suppose the former on the latter.

I'm asking because I'm looking to sandbox linked nodes and while you can shutdown rex with little harm that can't be said for net_kernel and it's spawn which is what erlang:spawn/4 relies on. Ideally I want to be able to expand on rex to include white/black listing so that existing rpc users can continue to work but everything else is limited. It'd be easier if if there was a single standard service providing rpc.

Additionally, is it intended that rpc:stop/0 causes kernel_sup to exit? rex is setup to be permanent rather than transient so when rpc:stop/0 is called it brings down kernel_sup which is set to 0 retries with one_for_all which in turn brings down beam.

Thanks.

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy, and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error. We may monitor and store emails to the extent permitted by applicable law.