[erlang-questions] strptime?

Gustav Simonsson <>
Tue Aug 31 21:52:58 CEST 2010

has a bunch of date and time functions.

is useful for parsing strings in general, but as
your datetime string doesn't have separator characters
you have to parse it "manually".

Best Regards, Gustav Simonsson.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Kelley" <>
Sent: Tuesday, 31 August, 2010 17:14:38 GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Bern / Rome / Stockholm / Vienna
Subject: [erlang-questions] strptime?

I'm an erlang noob.  I'm trying write a program in erlang that will replace
a program that's currently implemented in python.  The program needs to
parse XML documents, perform some calculations on the contents, and populate
a write-through cache that's backed by a database.

Some of the elements that I'm parsing out of the XML documents are date
strings, which look like "20091215015928".  In the python program, I'm
parsing these into datetime.datetime objects, which I then use as dictionary
keys in the cache.

While working on the erlang version of the program, I tried to find the
erlang stdlib date parsing routines.  To my surprise, I couldn't find any
helper functions for parsing datetime representations out of strings.  This
seems unlikely enough that there's a chance I'm missing something obvious.
 Am I?