[erlang-questions] random lookup in ets

Pascal Chapier pascalchapier@REDACTED
Mon Aug 23 07:05:40 CEST 2010

Hello,

I guess that your ets key is not an integer list :o). I imagine that you
can do 2 things:

first, if your application manage the ets, you can add an new table as
index, with an integer list as key, and the main ets key as value. then
you will have to select a random integer between min and max index key,
retreive the main ets key and then the value. The problem with this is
that you will have to keep the index keys continous, it is not so easy
and may takes some time when you make a delete operation. On the other
hand it should be fast for random read.

second, you can use ets:tab2list(Ets), and ets:info(Ets,size), generate
X with random:uniform(Size): a random value between 1 and Size, and
finally take the Xth element of the list with lists:nth(X)..

hope this will help you.

Best regards