[erlang-questions] Re: OOP in Erlang

Tony Arcieri tony.arcieri@REDACTED
Sat Aug 14 10:11:07 CEST 2010

2010/8/13 Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED>

> Erlang is very much an OOPL - since deep down, very
> deep down, it tries to make makes a passable job of getting message
> passing and isolation right.  In this sense it is far more OO than
> languages like Java (etc.) that have no notion of isolation and thus
> cannot be considered OOPLs :-)

I strongly agree with this, except when it comes to managing sequential,
immutable state. The mechanisms Erlang provides, namely records and
paramaterized modules, kind of suck. I think some type of object-like thing
could really benefit Erlang in that regard. I've implemented such a thing
(immutable objects) in Reia.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand