[erlang-questions] Faster ets:lookups

Evans, Matthew mevans@REDACTED
Fri Aug 13 20:13:16 CEST 2010

What sort of results are you getting? In most tests that I have been doing ETS is as fast, if not faster than C++ map. I do know that a table of type bag is a bit slower than set or ordered set.

-----Original Message-----
From: erlang-questions@REDACTED [mailto:erlang-questions@REDACTED] On Behalf Of tom kelly
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 6:20 AM
To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: [erlang-questions] Faster ets:lookups

Hi List,
I've just been reading Scott Lystig Fritchies paper "A Study of Erlang ETS
Table Implementations and Performance" and was wondering whatever became of
the "judy" option for ets table types. It's not in any OTP release I've
worked with (R11 onwards) even though the research was done on R9, I assume
this was considered but not accepted by OTP, anyone know the reasons?
I found this when looking for ways to improve our cache system, we uses
ets:lookup very intensively (table contains ~7000 entries indexed by a tuple
of two integers representing an adler, table is type "bag") and our
profiling has shown that the lookup uses the largest proportion of our
processing time.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to optimise the lookup?
Thanks in advance!
//Tom.