[erlang-questions] OOP in Erlang

Attila Rajmund Nohl attila.r.nohl@REDACTED
Thu Aug 12 21:31:05 CEST 2010

2010/8/11, Fred Hebert <mononcqc@REDACTED>:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Attila Rajmund Nohl <
> attila.r.nohl@REDACTED> wrote:
>

>> But it's nothing compared to the headache caused by the four different
>> ways to end a "statement": comma, full stop, semicolon or nothing.
>>
>>  Maybe this can help? http://ferd.ca/on-erlang-s-syntax.html
> I wrote this a while ago especially for such complaints, let me know what
> you think.

It addresses the actual problem: "unable to swap lines of code without
changing the token at the end of the line". I only write new code in
about 1% of my work time, the rest is about fixing bugs in existing
code and refactoring.

For example I have a macro in vim that generates an io:format printing
the value of the variable under the cursor. It works fine when the
line ends with comma, but doesn't work that fine if the variable is on
the last line of a case clause or a function clause. It's not a huge
deal, but a constant annoyance.