[erlang-questions] OOP in Erlang

Raoul Duke raould@REDACTED
Wed Aug 11 20:07:09 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Tony Arcieri <tony.arcieri@REDACTED> wrote:
> I would say some type of polymorphism is a mandatory requirement of OOP.
> Inheritance is one way to provide polymorphism, but certainly not the only
> one.

there are quite a lot of different kinds of polymorphism.

not true that e.g. a language with only parametric polymorphism is
guaranteed OO (cf. haskell), so i suspect you have to narrow it down a
little. maybe something more like "OO requires messaging, and
different objects can react differently to the same message" (cf.
typeclasses)? which isn't anything about inheritance.

sincerely.