[erlang-questions] OOP in Erlang

Hynek Vychodil hynek@REDACTED
Wed Aug 11 10:37:33 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@REDACTED> wrote:
> I have to stand up for OOP at this point: OOP does not start and end with
> "encapsulating code and data". The OOP feature that has the strongest impact
> on code brevity is *inheritance*. Thus, the interest in extending modules.

I can't agree with you. Inheritance is only way how some OOP language
copes with complexity of OO systems. Inheritance is neither core nor
mandatory feature of OOP. What worse, many of OO affected people what
I met stated that inheritance is most controversial and mostly misused
feature of OOP. I also observe that there is positive correlation with
person experience and probability that will tell or agree with above
statement.

> Also, IMHO, parameterized modules are a more compact way to encapsulate code
> and data, since that you don't have to pass the data structure around as an
> explicit state (assuming, of course, that the data is immutable).
>
> Guy
>

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 5:17 AM, Ngoc Dao <ngocdaothanh@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> The mostly used feature of OOP is probably encapsulating code and
>> data. Have a look at gen_server:
>> http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/gen_server.html

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Analyze your data in minutes. Share your insights instantly. Thrill
your boss.  Be a data hero!
Try GoodData now for free: www.gooddata.com