[erlang-questions] epmd: error in accept

Steve Vinoski vinoski@REDACTED
Mon Aug 2 22:43:34 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:40 PM, tsuraan <tsuraan@REDACTED> wrote:
> I have a system where we have multiple erlang processes running
> different programs.  It looks like somehow a race is happening where
> two epmds are started at about the same time; one of them becomes a
> happy and functional epmd, while the other one loops eternally
> printing "epmd: error in accept" to syslog, which rapidly fills up the
> file system where /var/log lives.  Looking at the epmd_srv.c file, it
> doesn't look like an error on the listensock can ever cause epmd to
> abort, which seems like a bit of a bug.  If it helps for debugging, on
> the system where I currently am seeing this, the functional epmd has
> pid 5202, while the one constants looping on its error printout has
> pid 5203.  They must have been started at almost the same time, which
> may be be a rare event in general.
>
> If I can provide any more useful information, I'd be happy to.

I recently submitted this patch that might help you:

http://github.com/erlang/otp/commit/c5c8baa686b2cd5c43ecbf40fbb47d04f200b552

It looks like it's in the otp proposed updates branch but not yet on
the dev branch, but either way you should be able to apply this patch
to R13B04 without issue.

--steve