[erlang-questions] Semantics of send

Johan Montelius johanmon@REDACTED
Thu Apr 29 16:35:14 CEST 2010

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:58:23 +0200, Hans Svensson <hanssv@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Joe basically says it all, but if anyone wants a longer story I'll
> insert a shameless plug for a paper we wrote some years ago discussing
> exactly this kind of problems:
> http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~hanssv/doc/ew07-dist.pdf
>
> If you read it, you'll learn that messages can indeed get lost, and the
> only safe way to communicate is by using links *and* confirmation
> messages!
>
> /Hans

I'm aware of the paper and also the paper "A more accurate Semantics for
Distributed Erlang". And there the delivery of messages is connected to
delivering of exit/noconnection signals. This is in my view crucial but
the Erlang Reference manual makes no such connections.

  Johan

--
Dr Johan Montelius
Royal Institute of Technology - KTH