[erlang-questions] Thinking in Erlang

David N Murray dmurray@REDACTED
Wed Apr 28 14:58:28 CEST 2010

On Apr 28, Richard O'Keefe scribed:

> There may be two different questions lurking here,
> and they have different answers.
>
> (1) CAN you use gen_server to do this.
>      Yes, of course.
> (2) That's rather heavyweight compared with the simplicity of the
>      Lisp version, do you HAVE to do that?
>      No, you don't.

Thanks Richard and John.  I appreciate the thorough responses.  My small
example of course have bigger implications.  That style was a common theme
in my Lisp programming: returning a function that carried whatever it
needed.  I'm trying to get a handle on the best way to approach my
problem.

It looks like either way I'm passing around additional data (either the
queue or the pid) in Erlang.

Thanks,
Dave