[erlang-questions] Re: timer server timeout

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Apr 26 09:57:26 CEST 2010

johan munk wrote:
> No-one has a view on this?

Yes, indeed, but not always the time to answer questions. :)

I never use the internal timeout in gen_server for anything
much, for this very reason. It can be useful as an inactivity
timeout, but if you really want to get a reliable timeout since
a specific point in time, you have to set a timer. Fortunately,
the timer BIFs are very cheap (don't use the functions in the
timer module; use erlang:send_after/3 or erlang:start_timer/3.)

BR,
Ulf W

--
Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Solutions Ltd, formerly Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd

WE'VE CHANGED NAMES!

www.erlang-solutions.com