[erlang-questions] suggestion: NIF_D

Paul Davis paul.joseph.davis@REDACTED
Tue Apr 20 19:16:56 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Ulf Wiger
<ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> My assumption from what I've read is that the D runtime gives
> minimal overhead, and the integration is a matter of declaring
> the C API as EXTERNAL C (D-friendly declarations).
>
> But this is just from browsing. I am looking for concrete
> feedback if possible.

Ulf,

Sorry, I wrote that a bit too early. Reading it I realize I was being
a bit schizophrenic on how I was considering the use of D in
conjunction with Erlang.

In the case of "lets take a look at writing NIF's with D" I was trying
to say that the scope of a NIF is somewhat limited by the fact that it
must return quickly or risk locking the entire Erlang VM. Due to this,
the LOC in the NIF's I've seen is quite small (1K is a big NIF). With
such a small foot print I wouldn't expect the benefits of using a
language like D to outweigh the costs of depending on its build chain.

In the case of "lets take a look at providing a platform to run
arbitrary D in Erlang" I reckon that could be pretty awesome but I am
unsure whether it would be enough awesome to depend on whatever
build/runtime dependencies it required.

Paul