[erlang-questions] suggestion: NIF_D

Paul Davis paul.joseph.davis@REDACTED
Tue Apr 20 14:46:25 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Ulf Wiger
<ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:
> Last week I was at the ACCU 2010 conference in Oxford, and
> had a short discussion with Walter Bright, the inventor of D.
> The discussion briefly touched the ErlOCaml project, and the
> idea that one would like to have the option to drop into a
> "safe" low-level language from Erlang. Walter (perhaps un-
> surprisingly) suggested that D might be a suitable candidate.
>
> I hadn't looked closer at D - only noted that it tended to
> do very well in the shootout (no more, it seems, as I couldn't
> find it there at all now). However, it does look very nice and
> accessible to C programmers:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/ctod.html
>
> Safety would come partly from the fact that it's a garbage-
> collected language, and partly because it fixes many of the
> idiosynchracies of C and C++.
>
> Another nice aspect of D is that it is designed to be
> relatively easy to analyse lexically, and compiles very
> quickly. This seems to open up for some fairly funky inlining
> or JIT code generation, but perhaps we're getting ahead of
> ourselves here...
>
> However, I realise that I spend far too little time coding
> C et al to be the one to try this integration, or indeed
> even to judge whether it would be worthwhile to do so.
>
> Any other takers? Opinions?
>
> BR,
> Ulf W
> --
> Ulf Wiger
> CTO, Erlang Solutions Ltd, formerly Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd
> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

> WE'VE CHANGED NAMES!
>
> Since January 1st 2010 Erlang Training and Consulting Ltd. has become ERLANG
> SOLUTIONS LTD.
>
> www.erlang-solutions.com

Ulf,

Two issues come to mind. NIF execution ties up an entire scheduler,
which means that embedded language environments are fairly limited in
what they can do. The two JavaScript embeddings I know of both focus
on use for small quickly executed scripts to serve merely as a
convenience and/or sandbox for user code on servers.

Secondly, both JavaScript interpreter embeddings use less than 1K
lines of code each. One of the reasons I think that NIF's are so cool
is that they really don't require a lot of code to plug in different
libraries. So unless the D is really well integrated it most likely
wouldn't be worth the hurdle as a user of the NIF.

Two ways I can think of to make language embeddings more interesting
would be to somehow allow NIF's to create a pid that could send and
receive messages in a background thread or to have some sort of
automagical dispatch to a thread pool.

HTH,
Paul Davis