[erlang-questions] Dynamic code reloading

Jeffm jeffm@REDACTED
Tue Apr 20 08:46:45 CEST 2010

On 20/04/10 4:28 PM, Deryk Barker wrote:
> Jeffm wrote:
>> When you loaded the new module in the shell did you use c() or
>> l(dbase)? If you compiled external to the shell, as you stated,
>> you'll need to use l(module_name) to tell the shell to load the new
>> version.
> I tried c() which took down the server process. At your suggestion, I
> just tried compiling externally and then used l().
>
> Which worked - the first time, i.e. when all I had done since starting
> the erlang shell was spawn the server and register its name (which was
> definitely in the list returned by registered()). When I recompiled
> externally again and re-used l() it took down the server process...sigh.

At a guest... I saw a similar problem when I was developing a module.
The problem is that the erlang vm only holds two versions of the code at
once. This is perfectly alright until you have a mistake in your code
like I did. The loop wasn't executing the new code and died when a third
version was added. Try adding a message which will cause the module to
print the current version of code. For example,

-module(eg1)
-export([
        loop/0
    ]).

-define(V, 1).

loop()
receive
   print_version ->
       io:format("Current version of ~p is ~p~n", [?MODULE, ?V]),
       eg1:loop();
  end.

then after loading the new code sent it a message to see what the
current version is.

A thought just occurred to me. Your probably stuck in the old code as
the program hasn't progressed around the loop. Load the new version,
trigger it to go round the loop, then load the third version and trigger
it again. By trigger, I'm suggesting a message, but any event which
causes it to go round the loop should work. It only starts the newly
loaded code once it re-enters to loop.

Jeff.