[erlang-questions] Mnesia deadlock with large volume of dirty operations?

Brian Acton acton@REDACTED
Fri Apr 2 20:22:52 CEST 2010

I'm sorry. I neglected to tell you what I had done on the previous day.

On the previous day, I had attempted to delete some old records using this
methodology:

                mnesia:write_lock_table(offline_msg),
                mnesia:foldl(
                  fun(Rec, _Acc) ->
                          case Rec#offline_msg.expire of
                              never ->
                                  ok;
                              TS ->
                                  if
                                      TS < TimeStamp ->
                                          mnesia:delete_object(Rec);
                                      true ->
                                          ok
                                  end
                          end
                  end, ok, offline_msg)

This delete finished on the 1st node but subsequently locked up all the
other nodes on a table lock. The cluster blew up and my 24/7 service went
into 1 hr of recovery of downtime.

So to recap,

on day 1 - transaction start, table lock, delete objects - finished in about
2 minutes
on day 2 - dirty select, dirty delete objects - finished in about 2 minutes

In both cases, the cluster blew up and became unusable for at least 20-30
minutes. After 20-30 minutes, we initiated recovery protocols.

Should I try

day 3 - transaction start, no table lock, delete objects

? is the table lock too coarse grained ? considering that the cluster has
blown up twice, i'm obviously a little scared to try another variation....

--b