Erlang used to build www.edgynet.com

Rory Byrne rory@REDACTED
Sun Sep 27 19:12:37 CEST 2009

Hi Everyone,

We've just released a web-application where the server-side is
written entirely in Erlang and I thought it might be of interest
to other Erlang developers working on web-related projects. It's
an online network simulation environment called Edgynet:

    http://www.edgynet.com

We're using the Bayeux protocol [1] for two-way asynchronous
messaging between the browser and the server. MochiWeb handles all
the HTTP.

If you're outside of Europe, you'll probably find the shells on the
site are quite sluggish. This is due to latency [2]. The demo server
is in Germany, and ideally you want to have a ping round-trip time
to it (www.edgynet.com) of 60ms or less. The screencasts posted on
the site should give an indication of how responsive shell
interaction will be on a low latency connection.

Many thanks to the Erlang/OTP Team. Erlang is incredible!

Best regards,

Rory

[1] http://cometd.org/documentation/bayeux
[2] Well it's actually the effect of latency combined with the
    limitation that a web browser will only allow 2 outstanding
    HTTP requests to a server at any one time (as per the HTTP 1.1
    spec).