[erlang-questions] Re: Concept of Side-effect

Kaiduan Xie kaiduanx@REDACTED
Fri Sep 18 04:20:41 CEST 2009

Thanks a lot for the great examples. But I can not understand the following one,

add(X,Y) ->
    X+Y.

add_effects(X,Y) ->
    io:format("~p~n",[X+Y]).

What side-effect add_effects generates? Why we say io:format()
generates side-effect?

kaiduan