[erlang-questions] large scale deployments and netsplits

Bengt Tillman bengt.tillman@REDACTED
Tue Sep 15 09:25:06 CEST 2009

In the NETSim product we simulate the operation and maintenance traffic
of lots of different kinds of exchanges in  GSM or 3G-networks. We can
simulate thousands of exchanges and have to spread them over a large
number of Erlang nodes (up to a couple of hundreds) executing on a
number of computers (in the 10ths) in a local area network.

We have had to set the net ticktime to 300 in order to keep the Erlang
nodes from losing contact with each other. The response times between
different Erlang nodes is not mission critical in our application - we
communicate between Erlang nodes in order to administrate the network of
exchanges and collect error reports. The mission critical traffic is
TCP/IP (or other O&M protocols) between a simulated exchange and the
system our customers want to test (OSS).

BR,
Bengt Tillman