erlsrv start doesn't complete sometimes

Robert Raschke rtrlists@REDACTED
Tue Sep 1 12:29:02 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to use erlsrv on Windows to run my app as a service. Mostly it
works fine.

But I have some strange behaviour when the start of the node takes a bit
longer. I have not yet managed to produce a small example.

Has anyone else seen issues with an OTP style release not getting started
correctly under erlsrv?

>From the logs it looks like it just gets stuck in the middle of the
application startup phase at some point. I've looked at the erlsrv code and
noticed that it keeps a connection to the node's shell. What I am wondering
is, could it be possible that the shell needs to be ready for erlsrv within
a certain period of time? Because I only get the stuck Node when the startup
takes a bit longer (~ 1 minute), thus making the shell appear quite late. If
I add -noshell (as told not to by the erlsrv documentation) then everything
starts up, but I obviously can't stop it through the Services interface.

I'll try and find time to make a small app that exhibits this behaviour, but
if anyone has come across this already I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks,
Robby