[erlang-questions] throttling the cpu/memory available to the VM

Dave Smith dizzyd@REDACTED
Fri Oct 30 16:43:57 CET 2009

>From what I know of the VM, Erlang does not provide either of these.
Providing max memory usage is feasible, but I suspect would be
somewhat difficult with the way the GC is structured. I've worked on a
VM (Java) that tried to do strict CPU allocation -- that's a very hard
problem to get right without introducing a lot of accounting overhead.

Really, the operating system is the best place to enforce allocation
of CPU, not the VM (or individual applications).

Hope that helps,

D.